Saturday, January 19, 2013

Squidward vs. The Poet

Am I really about to compare a character from Spongebob Squarepants to a character in a literary masterpiece? Is this a far fetched comparison? Yes to both. The poet in the prelude comes across as a pessimistic guy who thinks no one understands his art and has an arrogance about him that can't really be explained. Sounds like someone we know? SQUIDWARD TENTACLES!




Now this comparison was so striking to me, that every time I read the poets parts, my mind automatically read it in Squidwards nasally tone. I imagined a sophisticated Squidward talking and explaining how his gift of poetry wasn't being used to its full potential. Sure call me weird but i'm probably not the only one who saw this... right? RIGHT? Oh well. Anyways,  Squidward Tentacles is a cashier at the Krusty Krab and plays the clarinet. He considers himself a fancy fellow and considers most people inferior to him (i.e. Spongebob, Patrick.) All Mr. Tentacles really wants to do with his life is to play the clarinet masterfully and entertain audiences with what he calls, "unrecognized talent."




Frankly, Squidward sucks at playing the clarinet. However he is arrogant to this fact and continues to believe he has talent. If there is one thing to be said about Squidward, that he is a adamant fellow. Everyone continues to make fun of him for being very bad at playing the clarinet but he keeps going.The poet in the prelude to Faust has the same arrogant tone and self entitlement and believes that if he performs in front of the crowd and does things the Directors way, he would join the "bungling amateurs" (Goethe 6.) The poet goes and and on about how his poems are too good for this general audience. He considers his ability to write poetry a gift from Nature itself. He basically says that his is not there to entertain but to  invoke emotion and speak to the souls of the crowd. But the director and the clown just wanted the audience to leave entertained. It's a battle of entertainment versus enlightened mind. The director wants to dazzle and awe the audience while the poet wants to enlighten the audience with poetry that makes them think.




As you can see in the above picture, this is what I imagined the poet in Faust to look like minus the clarinet. Both the poet and Squidward see themselves as masters of their art. I can't say for sure if the poet is actually good at poetry but I know for a fact that Squidward is horrid at playing his instrument. They both face critics whether it be the clown and the director, or Spongebob and Patrick.

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you related the poet to Squidward. I remember talking in class about how the poet is supposed to resemble Faust, and there is a bit of a difference between Faust and Squidward. However, they still have some shared characteristics such as the critics and "audience" that they face. I also feel like Faust becomes more similar to Squidward after he drinks the love potion--he almost becomes arrogant in his pursuit of Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of pictures and a clip. I agree with your blog, but I think you could've better compared/contrasted Squidward and the Poet in the third paragraph, and I'm not sure what the overarching theme/issue is that you're comparing/contrasting because it's not explicitly stated. Could it be arrogance/adamancy? The reader might not know you're talking about Goethe's Poet, especially when more blogs are posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your comparison of Squidward to the poet in the prelude. I think you are exactly right about how both the poet and Squidward are overly confident of their work. Since the poet is supposed to represent Faust in the play, does that mean that Faust too is arrogant and overly confident? I think this question is self-explanatory.
    In response to your last paragraph, Faust does say openly that he is a bad doctor and teacher. So perhaps that is a difference between Faust/the poet and Squidward, they are both bad at their work/art, but Faust accepts this fact while Squidward is blind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I would have never thought of the poet resembling squidward, great catch! I agree with your post in that squidward is exactly like the poet in that he is arrogant, but because of your comparison to just the poet, you had to bring up that you did not know why the poet was so arrogant. I think this blog would have been masterfully done if you had directly compared squidward to Faust. Still great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the poet does resemble squidward! haha how am i ever going to read this book again without picturing that?

    Faust has this attitude but so does Meph! These two characters in different ways seem to perceive themselves as superior to the people around them. Meph believes that he can mess with humans freely because of his divinity. Faust believes that the people around him are stupidly wasting their time studying academia. No wonder they became close so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have connected the Poet with Squidward. They are a near perfect match. I felt like you could have connected the Director with Mr. Krabbs for some reason. The director does want to entertain the crowd but he talks about the shows ticket selling like one of Mr. Krabb's schemes to make money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your comparison between squidward and the poet! I knew that the poet reminded me of someone while I was reading the play, but I couldn't figure out who it was. Anyways, the resemblance is uncanny. You stated the similarities and differences of the two well, but I think that you should have written more about why this comparison matters. Overall, though, this was an interesting post!

      Delete
    2. I loved your comparison between squidward and the poet! I knew that the poet reminded me of someone while I was reading the play, but I couldn't figure out who it was. Anyways, the resemblance is uncanny. You stated the similarities and differences of the two well, but I think that you should have written more about why this comparison matters. Overall, though, this was an interesting post!

      Delete