Thursday, January 10, 2013

Faustian Nihilism Vs, the 41st Millennium



Okay I’m gonna give you a little bit of advice: don’t think. I’m being very serious, don’t think. The unthinking envy the thinkers because they inhabit a world the unthinking can’t enter, but the thinking envy the unthinking for the serenity they will never have again; and so it is with thought, it always leaves you in an obscure, unsatisfactory place somewhere between “what is the purpose of humanity?” and “did my dog possibly eat some of my puzzle pieces?”
Just don’t think about it, okay?
You’re thinking, I can hear you, I said stop. Fine, I suppose you need a little more encouragement to get those gears to stop moving.
Ever heard of nihilism probably associated with some crazy German philosopher by the name of Fredrich Neitchze (whose whole life could be summarized with a well-spoken “NO!”)? Well, while that guy prided himself on being the first and only nihilist (yes he in affect believed that his whole philosophy was pointless and he loved to preach it) he wasn’t.
You’re a nihilist too. Don’t think about it, if you didn’t listen last time, listen now. Right now you only have a minor case of nihilism; thinking about it speeds up its growth and turns you into the living dead. I’m serious, so don’t think about it, I don’t want the world ending in a zombie apocalypse to be on my hands. Not that I’d care, I’d be a zombie.
Anyway, you are a nihilist. Probabilistically you are something of a Faustian nihilist. Now I’m glad you made the connection that I’m taking about Goethe’s Faust, but please stop thinking.
Yes, as you presumed, Faust is a Nihilist – but a very bad one at that and hence why Faustian nihilism is a very minor case in my book.
Towards the beginning of the book, we find him in his study complaining about just about everything. After a chat with a spirit and a talk to his (assistant?) about Greek tragedy he then tries to kill himself as he feels life is meaningless as he is very disillusioned about his previous exploits in knowledge and learning. However, the fool can’t bring himself to kill himself and decides instead to drudge on. Later, as he is making the pact with the devil (Mephistopheles) it is important to note that he notes that the earth, life is like a prison and that “Thus by existence, tortured and oppressed; I crave for death, I long to rest.”
It is only until the devil promises Faust the highest level of satisfaction and pleasure does Faust begin consider living again. It is also important to note that Faust seems to have very little regard for the ‘afterlife’. This disregard for his eternal soul can be explained by the witch’s scene much later when the witch complains that she could not recognize him due to his change in form, and the devil puts the credit on the human conscious. Therefore we can conclude that hell and heaven are no more than you make them to be.
This is Faustian and your nihilism. We realize that there is no point, but we do not fully accept this and hence strive in various ways to make meaning out of life with great disregard to the effects of our actions, the ends justify the means to an extent.
Yes, that was a fancy, long winded excuse for me to call you a short-sighted blubbering idiot (don’t worry so am I).
So, if things are pointless, why do we try to make sense of things and strive for greater heights and pleasures? What would life look like if we didn’t?
Specifically, for the first question I would like to note that C.S Lewis in his book “Out of the Silent Planet” concludes that humans are “wise enough to see their death, but too foolish to accept it.”
That’s all I will say on that issue and book. It considers a lot of thought and in my opinion, I don’t give a rat’s tail about humanities purpose and if I had the slightest idea that my dog was chewing on puzzle pieces I would toss the puzzle – and probably the dog too.
For the second, I will turn to the lighter subject of the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium (Warhammer 40k). What I want you to see are these: 
These are Orks. Pretty much they are an advanced species of lichen. They are green due to photosynthetic symbiots in their skin, they live to fight, and they use teeth as money. The thing about them is their simplicity. As noted by one of the “higher races” in the 41st Millennium:
“The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans on the road to their ruin? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn’t bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.”
The Orks have a great simplicity about them, these two cartoons illustrate this very well:

All in all, what we can learn from the Orks is that sure life may be pointless, but it doesn’t really matter. They don’t go around asking why? They just do. They have no real wants or desires like Faust, no idea of a higher pleasure as Mephistopheles tempted Faust with. For them, life itself is enough; they just take what life gave them and do the simplest thing. For them its strong bodies and so they fight (plus the threat of death makes one the most alive) and that is all they need.
The devil has no hold on them.
So you, stop thinking and just do, you’ve wasted enough time here trying to grasp a ‘deeper meaning’ from this blog, stop it and just life for a while, in the end that’s all you have.

(Cartoons courtesy of WobblyModelSyndrome.com, Warhammer 40K, Orks, and all affilates belong to GamesWorkshop, no infringement intended all rights belong to them and their affiliates)

22 comments:

  1. Just a summary cuz it is a bit tedious:
    Faustian Nihilism: world is pointless so go on a pleasure party.
    Link to Warhammer 40k: The orks are posed as an anti-thesis to the faustian nihilism

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constructive criticism: your second sentence is a comma splice error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't know if that is or is not acceptable for this particular class and this particular blog. I laughed at: Just don’t think about it, okay?

      Delete
  3. Error: Now I’m glad you made the connection that I’m taking about Goethe’s Faust

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some sort of error?: it is important to note that he notes that the earth, life is like a prison and that “Thus by existence, tortured and oppressed; I crave for death, I long to rest.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's an error: the ‘afterlife’.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read the SparkNotes thing for this part so far, but can anyone tell me if this part of the blog is certianly correct: This disregard for [Faust's] eternal soul can be explained by the witch’s scene much later when the witch complains that she could not recognize him due to his change in form, and the devil puts the credit on the human conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take this sentence in your blog as an extremely serious, inflammatory, unforgivable, insulting, outrageous, ludicrous, and scandalous 3rd degree affront: Yes, that was a fancy, long winded excuse for me to call you a short-sighted blubbering idiot (don’t worry so am I).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Error: For them its strong bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally submitted the same comment twice.

      Delete
  10. Okay, while I appreciate the enthusiasm, let's keep it civil and congenial here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the syllabus and now see that my old posts don't count; darn it. I did just post a post that I think counts.

      Delete
    2. All of your questions are great...and the new post is also great!

      Delete
  11. The very interesting opening paragraph grabs my attention. By the time I'm done with the first paragraph, I know I'm in for a clever blog with some good humor. I enjoy the way you connect with the audience, a way which also suits the point of your blog. It is written as if you are speaking. You give the reader too much credit in your audience connections. Just kidding. I think your blog would be more followable if you added more "becauses" and used fewer vague and generic expressions like "about just about everything" and "consider living again," instead giving concrete examples. I think you should say something more elaborate and less vague than "the witch’s scene." Again, I like your lichen example, but it doesn't work for me because it seems like they would have stress and angst present to some extent in their lives if they are worried about fighting for survival or as you said, "the threat of death." Maybe death is no threat to them? If I was thinking about a species with no stress or angst, I would probably think of emotionless robots programmed to perform life functions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, thanks for the comments, no offense taken at anything, I know it really isn't the best at grammar. Anyway, as far as more detail goes, I dunno, remember this thing had to be about 700-800 words and mine was already getting into the 1,000s so I just cut it off before I got a full fledged essay on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On another note, I meant to say rat's tail I prefer it to the other version, I think the quotations I give are important, the one you specifically mentioned because it tells how he views life as a bore and pointless and he'd like to get it over with.Additionally, I would like to note that when Mephistopheles tells Faust the price for having the devil as a slave, Faust replies "First wean me of all earthly things; what happens then's not my concern." Which shows (to me) an obvious disregard for his 'eternal soul'

    ReplyDelete
  14. To just clarify the 'Orks', they have no fear of death, for them fighting isn't a means to survive, it is life. They have no angst or stress because they see all struggle (especially physical) as what they were born for. It doesn't matter if it really is fun or what-not, they see that as how life is and they accept it and are content.
    Hope that helped to clarify things a little.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this blog post. I took a moment from studying and reading (where I had to think hard) and went to the first paragraph telling me not to think. I also like the Ork cartoons, bringing in some Tolkien I see...or Grimm. hmm... However, I really did enjoy this piece and I liked the overall theme of living instead of wasting moments to over thinking, over reaching, over doing- something we see a lot in our society. Thanks Calvin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was honestly a really cool blog post. It made me think (yes, I know I shouldn't have)about life and the meaning that we all find in it. You're right in that it would almost be better not to think sometimes. Everything would just be so much simpler and we would probably enjoy life more. But (fortunately?) we do think. So the only conclusion I can really come to is that when our thoughts overpower us, we should try to remember just how simple life is in reality and "seize the day". Overall though, this is a great post and something that I needed to hear before midterms start again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Calvin,
    This blog post is awesome! Faustian Nihilism.. what a thought provoking idea. Its interesting because Existential Nihilism is somewhat what im writing my essay on. Yes, Faust has this apparent dissociation with other humans and seems to criticize humanity and human pursuits, but yet he has this hidden agenda: to find love in a meaningless world. But once he finds love he believes love creates meaning, meaning humanity and mortality have meaning, thus contradicting his existential nihilist beliefs.
    Fausts overthinking of life leads him to live a life locked in his study until he is pushed out by the devil. What does this mean for us? Does this mean that the Enlightenment and the idea of thinking so deeply about questions that may not have answers is good or bad? Will it drive us mad eventually?

    The world will never know! Hopefully we can sit in our rooms and ponder this question and not end up like Faust. Or like Gretchen, even worse.

    ReplyDelete